An Actor or Actress is One who plays parts in stage, television, radio, video, motion picture productions, or other settings for entertainment, information, or instruction. He may dance and sing.
Depending on his job function he may be called: Comedian, Comic, Community Theater Actor, Narrator, Voice-Over Artist, Stand-Up Comedian, Theatre Ensemble Member.
This Occupation May Require: SSCE or less: Diploma; Degree; Master’s Degree; Doctoral Degree; Professional Certification, Training and Rehearsals.
Tasks, Duties, Responsibilities
- Studies and rehearses roles from scripts in order to interpret, learn and memorize lines, stunts, and cues as directed.
- Works closely with directors, other actors, and playwrights to find the interpretation most suited to the role.
- Learns about characters in scripts and their relationships to each other in order to develop role interpretations.
- Collaborates with other actors as part of an ensemble.
- Performs humorous and serious interpretations of emotions, actions, and situations, using body movements, facial expressions, and gestures.
- Attends auditions and casting calls in order to audition for roles.
- Portrays and interpret roles, using speech, gestures, and body movements in order to entertain, inform, or instruct radio, film, television, or live audiences.
- Works with other crewmembers responsible for lighting, costumes, makeup, and props.
- Sings and/or dances during dramatic or comedic performances.
- Reads from scripts or books to narrate action or to inform or entertain audiences, utilizing few or no stage props.