Shell LiveWIRE is a social investment programme supported by The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited (SPDC). The aim of the program is to help young Nigerians explore the option of starting their own business as a real and viable career option.
It provides support, access to training, guidance, and business mentorship to young entrepreneurs and potential entrepreneurs between the ages of 18 and 35.
The objectives for the LiveWIRE Programme in Nigeria are to;
- Raise business awareness amongst final year university students to encourage them to see starting a business as a valid career option
- Assist youths to discover and develop business ‘ideas’ through Bright Ideas Workshops
- Make available to youths that want to go on to start a business, business planning and management guidelines and skills through the Become A Successful Owner Manager Course (BSOM)
- Run awards for best business plans, the price of which gives access to micro-credit facilities, through third parties like banks, NGOs and allied financial institutions
- Run an award for young people who have sustained a business for 2 to 3 years and continue the award on an annual basis
- Provide a volunteer mentoring programme for those who have completed the training course and decide to pursue starting their own business. Mentors can be drawn from oil & gas, banking, social voluntary sectors, etc.
- Print and provide information on youth enterprise at LiveWIRE Resource Centres
- Target Beneficiaries: Youths in the age range of 18 to 30 years.
The programme operates in the Niger Delta region and aims to inspire, encourage and support young people aged 18-35 to start up their own businesses in the Nigerian states of Edo, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Abia, Imo, and Akwa-Ibom.
Outstanding entrepreneurs that have benefited from the Shell LiveWIRE Nigeria programme.
- Abia Imo David, Abia International Company
- Christy Obioma, Christy Cakes & Event Planning
- Diana Marcus, Krystalkleair Beauty Spa
- Joy Edojah Money, Cherish Optical Centre
- Juliet Olokor, J&L Furniture
- Ngozi Nwankwo Birisibe, GIA Bridals
- Obianuju Chukwuji Joseph, De Zionite Enterprises
Although applications were closed as at the time of publishing this article, you can always check this website or the one below to catch the 2016 application open date. http://www.livewire-nigeria.org/home/