A Dancer is One who performs dances. She may perform on stage, for on-air broadcasting, or for video recording.
Depending on her job function he may be called: Dancer, Ballet Dancer, Soloist Dancer, Company Dancer, Ballerina, Ballet Company Member, Ballet Soloist, Performing Artist, Belly Dancer, Dance Artist.
This Occupation May Require: SSCE or Less; Diploma; Degree; Professional Certification, Training and Rehearsals
Tasks, Duties, Responsibilities
- Trains, exercises, and attends dance classes to maintain high levels of technical proficiency, physical ability, and physical fitness.
- Studies and practices dance moves required in roles.
- Harmonizes body movements to rhythm of musical accompaniment.
- Performs classical, modern, or acrobatic dances in productions, expressing stories, rhythm, and sound with their bodies.
- Collaborates with choreographers in order to refine or modify dance steps.
- Coordinates dancing with that of partners or dance ensembles.
- Attends costume fittings, photography sessions, and makeup calls associated with dance performances.
- Auditions for dance roles or for membership in dance companies.
- Develops self-understanding of physical capabilities and limitations, and chooses dance styles accordingly.
- Monitors the field of dance to remain aware of current trends and innovations.