A Photographer is One who takes pictures of people, landscapes, merchandise, or other subjects, using digital or film cameras and equipment.
Depending on his job function he may be called: Photographer, Photojournalist, Newspaper Photographer, Newspaper Photojournalist, Advertising Photographer, News Photographer, Photo Editor, Sports Photographer, Studio Photographer.
This Occupation May Require: SSCE: Diploma; Degree; Professional Certification, Training
Tasks, Duties, Responsibilities
- Takes pictures of individuals, families, and small groups, either in studio or on location.
- Adjusts apertures, shutter speeds, and camera focus based on a combination of factors such as lighting, field depth, subject motion, film type, and film speed.
- Uses traditional or digital cameras, along with a variety of equipment such as tripods, filters, and flash attachments.
- Creates artificial light, using flashes and reflectors.
- Determines desired images and picture composition, selecting and adjusting subjects, equipment, and lighting to achieve desired effects.
- Scans photographs into computers for editing, storage, and electronic transmission.
- Tests equipment prior to use to ensure that it is in good working order.
- Reviews sets of photographs to select the best work.
- Estimates or measures light levels, distances, and numbers of exposures needed, using measuring devices and formulas.
- Manipulates and enhances scanned or digital images to create desired effects, using computers and specialized software.