A PHP Developer is an IT Professional who uses his knowledge of coding and scripting languages to write concise, clean and well-documented codes for websites, software or web applications. A PHP developer also designs website wireframes and layouts, works with online databases, tests websites for technical problems and provids advice to a team of web designers and developers.
Job Duties of a PHP Developer
A PHP Developer:
- Builds new websites or web applications
- Maintains and improve existing websites
- Finds practical solutions to problems assigned
- May provide technical support to clients
- Works with other team members to specify, update, and prioritize software system requirements according to business objectives
- Tests and verifies that his solutions meet the assigned requirements
- Observes usability tests to qualify the success of implemented solutions
Characteristics of a PHP Developer
- Is a highly self-motivated learner
- Has Diverse thinking ability
- Has Great love for coding languages.
- Has Natural aptitude in information technology
- Is highly Creative
- Has Intellectual capacity to visualize complex processes
- Is Patient and diligent to write clean and concise code to map out and execute those processes.
To Be a Good Career in PHP Programmer:
- You must have an entrepreneurial spirit
- Must be interested in working for start-up or established organizations
- Must enjoy learning different coding languages used for creating websites?
- Must enjoy having a high level of independence in your work?
- Must have technical skill and a creative spirit?
- Must enjoy visualizing and mapping complex processes?
Skills Needed to Become a PHP Developer
PHP development is all about coding hence there is need for the following skills:
- Strong Object Orientated PHP development skills
- Proficiency with content management systems such as Drupal, WordPress or others
- Ability to use the language in combination with HTML and database query languages
- Knowledge of SQLite, MySQL or MariaDB, or PostgreSQL, MSSql or similar server technology
- Understanding of common web application security attacks and how to prevent them
- Ability to write consistent, clean, concise, and well-documented code
Where to Find Jobs As a PHP Developer
As a PHP developer you may be hired on a part-time, full-time, or on a contractual basis by a variety of small, medium and large organizations. Or else, you can choose to be self-employed, or work as freelancers for clients that range from individuals operating small websites, to large software development companies.
Whether you choose to find a job or you want to work as a freelance, the following organizations will be willing to engage you for some development projects.
- Individual web entrepreneurs and hobbyists
- Software design companies
- Web design and development companies
- Computer system design firms
- Video game development companies
- Internet application companies
- E-commerce application development companies
- Colleges and universities
- Small, medium and large private companies
- Non-profit groups
- Municipal, provincial/state and federal government agencies
Build Your Experience
In order to be hired as a PHP developer, you need to be able to convince employers that you have worked on previous PHP projects. This you can do by demonstrating the results of past projects.
Why not create an online portfolio that you can show a prospective client or employer. Include all the projects you have handled and do so convincingly with good word composition and good picture quality.