A Secretary is One who performs routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
Sample of reported job titles: Administrative Assistant, Administrative Associate, Administrative Secretary, Administrative Specialist, Administrative Technician, Clerk Typist, Department Secretary, Office Assistant, Secretary, Staff Assistant
This Occupation May Require: Degree; Professional Certification
Tasks, Duties, Responsibilities
- Uses computers for various applications, such as database management or word processing.
- Answers telephones and gives information to callers, takes messages, or transfers calls to appropriate individuals.
- Creates, maintains, and enters information into databases.
- Sets up and manages paper or electronic filing systems, recording information, updating paperwork, or maintaining documents, such as attendance records, correspondence, or other material.
- Operates office equipment, such as fax machines, copiers, or phone systems and arrange for repairs when equipment malfunctions.
- Greets visitors or callers and handles their inquiries or directs them to the appropriate persons according to their needs.
- Maintains scheduling and event calendars.
- Completes forms in accordance with company procedures.
- Schedules and confirms appointments for clients, customers, or supervisors.
- Makes copies of correspondence or other printed material.
Tools: Calculator, Facsimile machine, Computer, Photocopier, Scanner
Technology: Accounting software, Data base user interface and query software, Electronic mail software, Graphics or photo imaging software, Internet browser software